Pages

Thursday 27 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey|Week 2 Day 4 Activities

Arguably, one of the most dramatic and spectacular (beautiful) places to visit in New Zealand is Milford Sound. It has been referred to as the ‘eighth wonder of the world.’ It is a beautiful fiord (steep valley) that was formed when big pieces of ice (glaciers) melted. The melted glaciers created a beautiful river that is surrounded by dramatic cliffs and snow-capped mountains. People who visit Milford Sound are able to take a boat cruise through the middle of the fiord, walk around the area on the Milford Track or fly above the fiord as part of a private helicopter tour.
Let’s imagine that you had the chance to visit Milford Sound by boat, foot (walking) or air (helicopter). Which option would you prefer?
On your blog tell us which of the three options you would take to explore Milford Sound. Be sure to tell us why you have chosen this option.
If I was too choose to either visit Milford Sound by boat, foot (walking), or air (helicopter) I would choose to go on the helicopter. Why? One reason is because when your high in the Sky you can see the beautiful view of Milford Sound. My second reason is because I like flying on both helicopters and planes because one day I would want to become a pilot when I grow up. Another reason why is because if there is a natural disaster you can get away easier than walking and on the cruise. So those are the reasons why I would go on a helicopter. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rotorua is one of New Zealand’s most popular tourist destinations. It is a city filled with incredible forests, mountain biking tracks, lakes, and geothermal wonders, including hot springs (geysers) and mud pools. One of the most famous geothermal pools is called the Devil’s Bath at Wai-o-Tapu Thermal Wonderland. It is a neon green pool of stinky water.
Over the years, people have suggested that we come up with a new name for the pool. What do you think we should call it? Take a minute to let your creative juices flow.
On your blog, give us a list of three to five options for the name of this geothermal pool. Put a star (*) beside the name that you like the most. 
Name 1 - Stinky Lido *
Name 2 - Grassy Baths *
Name 3 - Hell's Pathway *
Name 4 - Hallogreen Waterways *
Image result for devils baths
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While New Zealand is home to some beautiful waterfalls, there are a number of stunning waterfalls in places like Canada and South Africa. In Canada, the largest waterfall is called Niagara Falls. It sits on the border between Canada and the United States of America. Thousands of tourists flock (go) to Niagara Falls every year to see the falls and to have their picture taken in front of this natural wonder. Over the past few years people have started taking ‘selfies’ and posting them online. Do you ever take selfies?
For this activity, choose one of the following three selfies. From left to right: Selfie #1, Selfie #2, Selfie #3




On your blog, write a short story about what you think is happening in the picture. Be sure to tell us where you think the people are and what you think they were doing at the time that they stopped to pose for the selfie. To earn full points, the story must be 8 – 10 sentences long.



I've decided to choose #Selfie 1. In this picture I think that he people taking the selfie are at the stadium watching either a cricket or soccer game. I think one of the players from the sport that is happening has come to take a selfie with the fans. I also think that the selfie has been taken after the sports that has happened. Or even they took a selfie during the game because the man who came to take a selfie with then got a score or hit the ball so high and far. I know that their six mens taking a selfie including the player. This must be a sports game because the player that has come to take a selfie with them has a sports jersey on them.

8 comments:

  1. Hey there Ofa, it's Billy here from the Summer Learning Journey programme. It's awesome to see that you've been working hard since you went on holiday and completing lots of activities. I will be commenting on your blog posts and hopefully motivating you throughout the summer. All the best!

    In June I moved to London, England. So I am currently writing to you from the other side of the world. Cool, right!?

    You've got some excellent reasons for wanting to visit Milford Sound in a helicopter. I like the idea about seeing all of it at once. You'd certainly get a better perspective of things. I'd love to learn to fly a helicopter as well.

    If you had your own helicopter, and you could fly it, where would you go and what would you see?

    I think you might be right about that selfie. I definitely think it's at a sports game of some sort. Do you like to take selfies?
    It sounds like you are a cricket fan. Have you ever been to a game?
    Would you rather be a batter, bowler, all-rounder, or a wicket keeper for the Black Caps?

    Thanks, and I hope to hear back from you soon!
    Billy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merhaba Ofa ,
    I am Lillyana I come from the amazing school called Pt England School located near Glen Innes . What an Amazing post you have done for this task of SLJ , I loved the way you explained how you would want to visit Milford Sound ,Merhaba means hello in Turkish did you know that ??? Keep up the Stunning Work , Well Done Ofa !!!

    Best Wishes for #2019 ,
    Lillyana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ofa! It's great that you have still took part in the Summer Learning Journey this Holiday. You're geothermal pool names were very creative and unique. I am guessing you liked them all the most. I think many people have made names off of what it looks like and what we have heard about it. I think I liked grassy baths the most. Have you ever visited Rotorua? Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malo E Lelei Ofa,

    It great to see you focusing on the Summer Learning Journey Program. You are doing very well with these activities. I did the same activities as you. The images look great, but remember to attribute it next time. My favourite name for the pool is Hallogreen Waterways. It sounds very astonishing. What do you think? I chose the same image as you. Go on my blog and give me feedback.

    Thank You
    Keep it Up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ofa!,
    Great job on completing another activity for the Summer Learning Journey!. So true taking the helicopter would let you see the beautiful view!. I like the second name " Grassy Bath" becaue it looks and sounds like the actuall photo!. I really like your explanation on the third post I think that you might be right. They could be at a stadium!. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kia Ora Ofa,
    I've seen that you have been working on the Summer Learning Journey activities. I would also go on helicopter to get to Milford Sound. The name that I mostly like for the geothermal pool is the name grassy baths. I like your description for the selfie. Have you ever been to a cricket game?
    Keep Up The Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ofa,
    Good job on these activities! I like your explanation of the selfie, I bet we would all like to take a picture with a famous sport player one day. It was also funny to see that you liked every potential name of the geothermal pool.
    Keep it up,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Ofa,

    My name is Araura and I am from Wesley Primary School.

    First of all congratulations on your amazing post. I like your idea on what you think it is going on in photo number 1. I through it was like a friend gathering. I love the names that you have chosen. The funniest one I think is Stinky Lido. Great Job :). I agree I would chose tje helicopter as well. To see the view from high up will be amazing.

    Have you ever been to Milford sound? I havent.

    Anyway keep up the good work.
    Blog you later Bye 😀

    ReplyDelete